Thursday, October 9, 2008

Chestnuts and Apples

On Sunday (the 5th) my host parents and I headed to my host grandparents' farm to pick apples and chestnuts. Here are a few pictures from the day.



The first few.


What it looks like when you find them.
I accidentally dropped some.

Working hard!

Chestnuts in the pod. When you fin them like this you use two sticks to pry the chestnuts out, that way you don't prick your fingers on the pod.

Host mom.

The forest floor.

Bucket number one!

Apples.


Me using the pole picker to reach the high up apples.

Heading back to the farmhouse.

The neighbor and her new kittens.

Sunbathing cat. He thoroughly enjoyed being petted.

We packed them like this then moved them to the cellar so they could be kept for winter.

Some of the apples were no good thanks to these huge wasps. I have never seen a wasp so big in my life. They were the size of my pinkie finger (knuckle to tip) and i was worried i would get stung.

Part of the small orchard (9 trees)

Orchard and some grape vines in the background.
Took a snack break to eat one of the apples i picked. Delicious and as fresh as its going to get.

Host mom with a full basket. When you use the pole picker the apples drop into the cloth bag. Although sometimes you miss the bag.


All the chestnuts. We only left a small bucket behind and took the majority home. My host dad loves them and gives them away to his friends and family.

Picking the last few apples.

No comments: