Saturday, December 6, 2008

Rotary Concert

On Friday the 5th I attended a humanitarian concert that was hosted by my Rotary Club. (Rotary Club Varaždin 1181) Oliver Dragojević, a famous Croatian singer, was the performer for the evening. The concert started at 8:00 in the Croatian National Theatre and lasted 2 hours. After the concert most people went upstairs to a banquet hall. Oliver Dragojević's birthday is coming up so Rotary had a birthday cake for him. The group was mostly adults and they just talked away, kind of boring. Lucky for me Tamara, a girl from school, was there so I had someone to talk with.
Oliver Dragojević played the piano while singing. Accompanying him were two men playing guitars, a drummer, a saxophone player and another keyboard player. Very talented, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dragojević was first recognized in the music scene in the 1970's at the Split Festival. Originally his music was influenced bye Dalmatian Folklore but has since become more influenced by global music trends. He if often thought of as Croatia's oldest pop star and is recognized as one of the country's more popular singers and musicians.
Inside the theatre. Very old yet very nice. I had a front row ticket. Upstairs in the banquet hall. My Rotary Club is singing happy birthday to Oliver Dragojević. The cake was delicious! There was two buffet tables of snacking food. One of the foods offered was chicken nuggets. I have never eaten a chicken nugget on a stick so Tamara and I documented it with a picture.

No comments: